Slow cookers (also known as crock-pots) have increased in popularity during the past few years as people experiment with cooking ideas and discover how to use them to make all kinds of meals.
So, basically, a slow cooker is usually an oval-shaped cooking appliance that sits on your worktop and slowly cooks food. You can make casseroles, soups, currys, chilli, stews etc (check out these slow cooker recipes for some ideas). Slow cookers are great for working people who like to have a hot meal ready to eat when they get home from work. You can do all the prepping in the morning, lob everything into the slow cooker and set it to low. Eight hours later – it’s cooked and ready to eat.
Slow cooker buying guide
Slow cookers don’t cost a lot of money. Small ones are about £15 and larger ones are around £30. Typically, they come with three settings – low, high and keep warm. Fancy slow cookers with one or two more heat settings, digital timers and hinged lids will set you back about £40-£50. For most people, the mid-range slow cookers work just fine.
Capacity is something to consider when choosing the best slow cooker for you and your family. Typically, you’ll see slow cookers available in the following sizes: 1.5L, 2.4L, 3.5L, 4.7L, 6.5L. The more mouths you have to feed, the larger slow cooker you’ll need!
Slow cookers are usually dishwasher safe and have a toughened see-through glass lid. But obviously check the finer details when you’re making your choice.
The list below shows the 5 most popular slow cookers for sale at Amazon today.
5 of the Best Slow Cookers
- Hob proof cooking pot to sear and slow cook in the same pot
- Cooking pot and glass lid dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Toughened glass lid to monitor cooking
- Removable hob-proof aluminium pot – sear and stew in the same pot, doubles as a serving dish
- Shatter resistant cooking pot - Less likely to break if dropped or knocked
- Dishwasher proof pot and lid - Makes meal times even less hassle
- Perfect for casseroles, curries, and chilli, plus soups, pot roasts and even desserts
- 3.7 litre capacity - ideal for couples, small families and batch cooking
- Removable stoneware ceramic bowl - ideal for serving at the table and dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning
- Dishwasher safe pot and lid - Makes meal times even easier
- Removable ceramic pot - Can be used as a serving dish
- Toughened glass lid - Transparent to monitor cooking
- Sear and stew in the same pot
- Easy to remove hinged Lid for less mess and ease of use
- 3 heat settings for cooking to suit you